Muffler Repair in Campbell, CA
What is a muffler and how does it work?
Mufflers are responsible for muffling the loud noises your engine produces while keeping your vehicle running. Every vehicle make, including Toyota, Honda, Ford, and Hyundai, contain mufflers in their vehicles. Because engines produce a lot of power, several thousand combustions and pulsations occur every minute and without a properly functioning muffler, your car would be making a lot of excess noise. A muffler is a cylindrical component that is attached to your vehicle's exhaust pipe to filter out loud noises.
At first glance, a muffler looks like a simple set of tubes with holes in them. However, these tubes and chambers are tuned like a musical instrument that are designed to reflect the sound waves produced by the engine in a way that they cancel themselves out. Sound is a pressure wave formed from pulses of alternating high and low air pressure that make their way to our ears at the speed of sound. How we perceive sound depends on the sound wave frequency (which determines the pitch of the sound) and the air pressure level (which determines how loud the sound is). However, if two sound waves are out of pace with one another, they cancel each other out. This concept is called constructive interference; when one wave is at its maximum pressure and another is at its minimum pressure, they won't produce any sound at all when these waves hit your eardrums.
How do I know if my car needs a muffler repair?
The following are signs that show problems with your vehicle's muffler:
- Backfire from the engine: Your car's muffler is part of the vehicle's exhaust system. The exhaust of the car goes through the exhaust valve chamber inside the cylinder head, then through the exhaust headers, which are inside the exhaust pipes, catalytic converter and then in the muffler. It exits from the exhaust pipe.
- Unbearable noises from the exhaust system: If there is a hole inside your muffler, it will not function properly and you will hear very loud noises coming from your vehicle. If you are hearing unusual sounds from your vehicle and are in Campbell or Fruitdale, feel free to bring your car to Made in Japan/USA/Europe today.
- Condensation inside the exhaust system: When the exhaust system cools down, the moisture in the air condenses inside the exhaust system and the muffler. Overtime, the moisture sits there and slowly eats away at the exhaust pipe and the shell of the muffler. If you start to notice excess condensation in your exhaust system, this means that your muffler is starting to wear out.
If you are in the 95008 area or nearby, you can come to Made in Japan/USA/Europe for all your auto repair needs. In addition to muffler repair, we also offer services in transmission repair, scheduled maintenance, and oil changes, fluid services and tune-ups. We can also supply you with custom bending and installation to create a whole new exhaust system for your vehicle.
Your award-winning local Shop for Muffler Repair
We at Made in Japan/USA/Europe in Campbell are experts in all things auto repair and muffler work. We've been fixing cars since 1981 and our technicians and owner Matt Ogabian have decades of combined experience.
Here are some reasons why you should choose us:
- We have a review score of 5 based on reviews from 241 satisfied customers.
- Locally owned and operated since 1981
- Only OEM and OEM-approved parts/components
- Shuttle on all services, loaner on major service, free towing (limited)
- AAA Approved Auto Repair Shop
- Our diverse team is sure to have an expert in the make and model of your vehicle
To schedule an appointment with Made in Japan/USA/Europe in Santa Clara County, give us a call at 408-866-5300 or schedule an appointment online .